Dear BCE Families,
Welcome to a great new year of learning at BCE. The teachers have been hard at work getting their rooms ready for the new year. This week, they will participate in intensive training on math instruction integrating the common core standards. They started this work last year. You will learn more about the common core standards as the year progresses.
I am ecstatic to announce that the new BCE principal is Mrs. Denise Fosburgh. Mrs. Fosburgh has taught at BCE for 14 years. She has served as the administrative designee in my absence for the past 7 years. She has also served on our Site Leadership Teams. Mrs. Fosburgh has a keen understanding of the needs of our learning community. I am confident (which makes my leaving much easier) that she has the skills and dedication to lead BCE as we shift to the new grade level standards. She will be sending out her own letter to you after school starts. You can meet Mrs. Fosburgh the first day of school at the Principal’s Coffee in the MP room at 8:35 am.
Welcome to our new staff members, Ms. Amanda Bailey (second grade), Ms. Rachel Turner (3rdgrade), Ms. Betsy Garties (Instructional Assistant), and Ms. Julie Sheard (Special Day Class Instructional Assistant). They are as excited to join us, as we are to have them.
We will be sending out post cards with your child’s classroom placement on Friday, August 23. As the teachers will be in meetings all this week, they will have only next Monday to put the finishing touches on their rooms. We are asking that you please let them do this without interruptions.
Remember that students in grades 4-5 start school at 8:20 am and students in grades K-3 start at 8:30 am. If your student is in one of our combination classes or our first grade team taught class, you will be receiving a letter instead.
Our staff was busy over the summer. 7 teachers attended intensive Reading or Writing Workshop training at the Teachers College at Columbia University in New York. Additionally, 12 staff members attended a 3-day training in Cognitively Guided Instruction (CGI) relating to math. Thank you to the Parent Club for helping to support the teachers in these trainings.
This year we continue to build on our Positive Behavior Support (PBS) program. Information about PBS is contained in the Family Handbook that will be coming home in the first day packet. Research shows that schools that teach students the desired behaviors necessary for learning have higher student and staff ratings of safety, and consistent improvement in reading scores. We will continue to have monthly Recognition Assemblies acknowledging students for demonstrating the BCE Way. Every student in the school will be recognized one time during the year.
THE BCE WAY
- BE RESPECTFUL
- BE SAFE
- BE RESPONSIBLE
Speaking of responsibility, please support your student in getting to school on time every day. Studies show that regular attendance increases student achievement and enhances social growth.
A few other changes…Two willow trees on the upper playground had to be removed because they were rotting from the inside. Mrs. Fosburgh will be working with our grounds department to replace the trees. There is also a new gate at the entrance to the old 2-story. This will be locked at night and on weekends to keep this area from being vandalized. This year will see the beginning of work in the front of the school for our Safe Route to Schools grant. The majority of the work (sidewalks and drainage) will happen next summer.
What’s Important to Remember Right Now…
- Please return all forms in your first day packet ASAP. We really need your updated emergency contact information. We also need your email address if you want to receive Bearmail and Principal letters.
- Early Out every Wednesday. All students in grades 1-5 are dismissed at 1:15 pm every Wednesday (including 8/28). The only exceptions are November 20 (grades 1-3 12:10 pm, grades 4-5 12:15 pm) and June 11 (regular dismissal time). On-campus childcare is available through the YMCA for a fee on all Early Out days.
- Peanut Free Kindergartens
- Peanut Snack/Lunch Monitoring for grades 1-5 (please read explanation in the first day packet).
- Treat Lists for classrooms. We continue to work towards reducing the amount of sweets consumed at school. Treat list suggestions are included in the first day packet.
- Please take time to review the updates of the BCE Family Handbook in your first day packet and on our website. The website, www.bce.slvusd.org also contains information and calendars that you will find helpful throughout the school year.
Other Information that Needs To Be Mentioned
· We are a 2010 California Distinguished School. Great learning is happening at BCE. Please support your student in completing this/her reading each night.
· The school parking lot is for staff and handicapped parking only. For the first week of school, the parking lot at St. Michael’s church on Pine St. (between Lomond and Harmon) will be open for parking for families.
· Please, please, please follow the directions of the crossing guards. Please do not park on the corners by the crosswalk as it holds up everyone. Remember that cars coming up Lomond from Hwy 9 will be required to turn right onto Laurel. Cars coming up Laurel from Big Basin will need to turn left onto Lomond. Cars coming up Laurel from Harmon will be directed to turn right onto Lomond. A diagram is included in the Family Handbook Please not drive onto campus to drop-off or pick up your child. We need to keep the driveway clear for our busses. Please read and obey the traffic signs around BCE, as we need you to heed them to insure the safety of our children and to facilitate a smooth traffic flow. We need your patience, courtesy and support.
· SLVUSD will provide a bus shuttle from the transit stop at the corner of Highway 9 and Lomond. The bus will stop to pick up students at 8:05 am. There will also be a shuttle after school that will drop students off by the fire station at 3:05 pm. There is no charge for this service; however, there must be a signed parent permission slip on file before a student can ride the shuttle. Slips are available in the office.
· Sometimes during the school day, office personnel are busy attending to students and are not able to answer the phone. Please leave a message on the answering machine and we will get back to you ASAP.
· Please call all student absences into our attendance line (available 24 hours), 338-2887.
Upcoming Dates for Your Calendars
- Every Wednesday is Early Out
- Monday, September 2-NO SCHOOL - Labor Day.
- Thursday, September 19-Back to School Night
- Friday, September 27-Ice Cream Social
Wishing You a Great Year of Learning,
Outgoing BCE Principal and New SLVUSD Director of Personnel
COMMUNITY OPPORTUNITY LINK