August 13, 2018
Hello BCE Families!
I hope you all had a wonderful summer and were able to spend some quality time with those special kids! BCE is an amazing school and I am looking forward to continuing our work together this year.
Our staff members have been working hard to get things ready for our students and everyone is excited for our first day of school Monday, August 20. I would like to acknowledge all our staff members who took time out of their summer to enhance your student's learning experience. Many teachers attended the math institute up at UCSC, others attended the Santa Cruz County math institute led by SVMI, and one of our teachers was able to go back to New York for a week long training at Teachers' College! Additionally, many of our staff members used their own time to meet with colleagues to plan and prepare for the new school year.
I want to extend a warm welcome to our new staff members and to thank everyone who has supported them in their transition. We want to welcome Lisa Benavidez back home to BCE! Lisa will be joining our 3rd grade team this year. We are also fortunate to have Adam Keasey joining our 5th grade team, Alyson Paolini who will be joining our staff as our Speech-Language Pathologist (SLP), and Severin Steinmann will be our Psychologist. I would like to congratulate one of our 1st grade teachers on her summer wedding - Haley Eggleston is now Haley Foster! Last, but not least, Ivan Bibriesca has been hired as our senior custodian and will be here to help get our campus ready for our students.
All of our new staff members come to BCE with the experience and personality that will make them a terrific addition to our already strong BCE team!
Here are a few reminders:
· Class lists will be posted on the office door after 5:00 pm on Friday August 17. (TK/K class lists will be posted in the office window at 9 am on Friday) Please remember no classroom assignments will be changed during the first four weeks of school.
· There will be a TK & Kindergarten meet & greet in your child's classroom between 9 – 10 am on Friday, August 17.
· Just a reminder that our 5th grade class is now part of our District's Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) initiative. Click here for more information. 5th graders are encouraged to bring their laptops on the first day of school.
· School starts Monday August 20
o 4th and 5th grade start at 8:20
o TK, K and 1st - 3rd starts at 8:30
· Breakfast Club = Just a reminder that the BCE Breakfast Club has changed and there will be a $2.50 charge for each breakfast unless your student is registered to receive free or reduced cost meals. Please click here to read more about the changes and find out about our free and reduced meal program.
· Please join me for a Principal's Coffee sponsored by our wonderful BCE Parent Club on Monday at 8:30 am in the MP Room.
· The BCE Computer Lab will be open from 8:30 am to 10:00 am Monday morning for anyone who haven't yet updated their student's records. A District staff member will be on hand to help guide you through the process.
o TK and K are dismissed at 11:50 am
o 1st – 3rd are dismissed at 2:44 pm
o 4th and 5th are dismissed at 2:59 pm
· Wednesday, 8/22, will be an Early Out Day
o TK and Kinders will be dismissed at their usual time, 11:50 am
o 1st – 5th will be dismissed at 1:15 pm
It's going to be a great year of learning and growing together. Welcome to the 2018-2019 school year!
The BCE Way: BE RESPECTFUL, BE SAFE, BE RESPONSIBLE
COMMUNITY OPPORTUNITY LINK
Please click on the following link to view a variety of opportunities for your child(ren) that are offered throughout the valley and Santa Cruz areas by various organizations, such as Boy/Girl Scouts, Sports, Arts-Drama-Theater, Local Events, Community Service, Quest/YMCA (before/after-school child care), etc. Link here: https://sites.google.com/a/
This link is provided as a courtesy for parents & students, by the San Lorenzo Valley Unified School District, to receive information of current local events and opportunities. The San Lorenzo Valley Unified School District does not sponsor or endorse any of the organizations or events that are located here.
The Flyer Process for San Lorenzo Valley Unified School District is posted on the "home" page of the District website at www.slvusd.org. The flyers and/or blurbs are no longer inserted into the school newsletters or distributed to the children. The District is making an effort to reduce the amount of paper that is sent home with your child(ren) and is working together to streamline the newsletter so that you read about the most important information regarding your child's school. The District has created a website where all of the approved flyers will be posted (Community Opportunity).