August 16, 2016
Hello BCE Families!
I hope you all had a wonderful summer and were able to spend some quality time with those special kids! BCE is an amazing school and I am looking forward to continuing our work together this year.
Our staff members have been working hard to get things ready for our students and everyone is excited for our first day of school Monday, August 22. I would like to acknowledge all our staff members who took time out of their summer to enhance your student's learning experience. Many teachers attended the math institute up at UCSC, others attended the Santa Cruz County math institute led by SVMI, and five teachers went back to New York for a week long training at Teachers' College. Additionally, many of our staff members used their own time to meet with colleagues to plan and prepare for the new school year.
I want to extend a warm welcome to our new staff members and to thank everyone who has supported them in their transition. After working last semester as a long-term sub in 1st grade, Myra Schiermeyer officially joins our staff as our new Transitional Kindergarten teacher. Dusty Gipson has been hired to be an instructional assistant and work with Myra in the TK class. Chantel Long, one of our current BCE parents, is very excited to be our new primary PE teacher replacing Rob Collins who has moved with his family to Colorado. And last, but not least, after a summer of working hard with Mr. Idal to make our campus ready for our students, Jake Lobo has been hired as our evening custodian.
All of our new staff members come to BCE with the experience and personality that will make them a terrific addition to our already strong BCE team!
Just a few reminders:
· Class lists will be posted on the office door after 5:00 pm on Thursday August 18.
· Every family must have a PowerSchool Parent Portal online account. If you have not yet set up an account, or updated your student's registration information, the Parent Portal will open at 8 am on Friday, August 19. More information is available at slvusd.org, or Alma is available to answer questions Monday – Thursday before August 19.
· Our 5th grade class is now part of our District's Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) initiative. 5th graders are encouraged to bring their laptops on the first day of school.
· School starts Monday August 22
o 4th and 5th grade start at 8:20
o TK, K and 1st - 3rd starts at 8:30
· Please join me for a Principal's Coffee sponsored by our wonderful BCE Parent Club on Monday at 8:30 am in the MP Room
· The BCE Computer Lab will be open from 8:30 am to 10:00 am Monday morning for anyone who has not created their Parent Portal account or updated their student's registration. A District staff member will be on hand to help guide you through the process.
· Parking on campus is for staff only.
o TK and K are dismissed at 11:50
o 1st – 3rd are dismissed at 2:44
o 4th and 5th are dismissed at 2:59
· Wednesday, 8/24, will be an Early Out Day
o TK and Kinders will be dismissed at their usual time, 11:50
o 1st – 5th will be dismissed at 1:15
It's going to be a great year of learning and growing together. Welcome to the 2016-2017 school year!
The BCE Way: BE RESPECTFUL, BE SAFE, BE RESPONSIBLE
COMMUNITY OPPORTUNITY LINK
Please click on the following link to view a variety of opportunities for your child(ren) that are offered throughout the valley and Santa Cruz areas by various organizations, such as Boy/Girl Scouts, Sports, Arts-Drama-Theater, Local Events, Community Service, Quest/YMCA (before/after-school child care), etc. Link here: https://sites.google.com/a/sl
This link is provided as a courtesy for parents & students, by the San Lorenzo Valley Unified School District, to receive information of current local events and opportunities. The San Lorenzo Valley Unified School District does not sponsor or endorse any of the organizations or events that are located here.
The Flyer Process for San Lorenzo Valley Unified School District is posted on the "home" page of the District website at www.slvusd.org. The flyers and/or blurbs are no longer inserted into the school newsletters or distributed to the children. The District is making an effort to reduce the amount of paper that is sent home with your child(ren) and is working together to streamline the newsletter so that you read about the most important information regarding your child's school. The District has created a website where all of the approved flyers will be posted (Community Opportunity).
Boulder Creek Elementary School
San Lorenzo Valley Unified School District
Phone: (831) 338-6413
Fax: (831) 338-6118
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This email message, including any attachments, contains information which may be privileged, confidential and/or protected from disclosure. This information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you think that you have received this message in error, please email the sender then delete the email from your computer system and destroy any hard copies of the email. If you are not the intended recipient any dissemination, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited.