Happy Holidays! ~ As we say good-bye to 2016 I want to wish all our BCE families and friends a wonderful Winter Break. I hope you are able to spend some extra quality time with your extra special students! I'm looking forward to seeing you all back in 2017 and continuing our important work together.
Reminder ~ There is NO SCHOOL tomorrow. Winter Break runs from December 23rd through January 6th.
Joy ~ If you have a kindergartner or first grader I hope you were able to make it to their holiday singing performances this week. If you had the opportunity to see those bright shiny faces and hear their beautiful singing, you know the meaning and feeling of joy!
Canned Food Drive ~ Thank you all for your generous donations to The Valley Christmas Projects Food Drive. BCE collected 100's of nonperishable food items that will be used to support families in our community. Sharing is caring and our BCE family cares a lot about our community! Thank you.
Safe Travels ~ As a public health agency, Santa Cruz County Mosquito and Vector Control would like to make sure our residents are informed and travel safely. Zika virus is still spreading throughout many parts of Latin America and the Caribbean, including Mexico.
Zika is spread primarily through the bite of an infected mosquito, so we urge travelers to take precautions to avoid becoming infected:
- Use insect repellent (including DEET, picaridin, IR3535, oil of lemon eucalyptus—needs to be reapplied often)
- If using sunscreen, apply sunscreen first, then put on repellent.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants if weather permits.
- Use air conditioning or window/door screens to keep mosquitoes outside, or use a bed net if these options are not available.
- Help reduce the number of mosquitoes outside your home or hotel room by dumping standing water from containers like flowerpots or buckets.
Thank you for your help. Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.
Amanda Poulsen, M.S.
Santa Cruz County Mosquito and Vector Control
Up Coming Dates to Remember
- Friday 12/23 – 1/6/17 = Winter Break
- Thursday 1/12 = BCE Parent Club Meeting, 6:30 pm
- Friday 1/13 = Family Game Night, BINGO!
- Monday 1/16 = No School (Martin Luther King Jr.'s Birthday)
- Wednesday 1/18 = Family Dinner Night, Edo's
- Thursday 1/19 = Triple P Parenting Seminar, Encouraging Your Child's Self-Esteem
- Friday 1/27 = No School (Teacher Professional Development Day)
- Thursday 2/2 = Science Fair
- Wednesday 2/8 = Family Dinner Night, Burger 9
- Thursday 2/9 = Parent Club Meeting
- Monday 2/13 = No School (President Lincoln's Birthday)
- Friday 2/17 = Family Movie Night
- Monday 2/20 = No School = (President's Day)
Quote of the Week (Service):
"Your life is worth more when you share it with others."
~ Author Unknown
Did you know???
Researchers have consistently found that families that engage in frequent traditions report stronger connection and unity than families that haven't established rituals together. I hope you and your children are able to continue to create memorable holiday traditions.
Wishing you all a wonderful Winter Break!
The BCE Way: BE RESPECTFUL, BE SAFE, BE RESPONSIBLE
BCE PARENT CLUB EVENT & MEETING REMINDERS:
COMMUNITY OPPORTUNITY LINK
Please click on the following link to view a variety of opportunities for your child(ren) that are offered throughout the valley and Santa Cruz areas by various organizations, such as Boy/Girl Scouts, Sports, Arts-Drama-Theater, Local Events, Community Service, Quest/YMCA (before/after-school child care), etc. Link here: https://sites.google.com/a/sl
This link is provided as a courtesy for parents & students, by the San Lorenzo Valley Unified School District, to receive information of current local events and opportunities. The San Lorenzo Valley Unified School District does not sponsor or endorse any of the organizations or events that are located here.
The Flyer Process for San Lorenzo Valley Unified School District is posted on the "home" page of the District website at www.slvusd.org. The flyers and/or blurbs are no longer inserted into the school newsletters or distributed to the children. The District is making an effort to reduce the amount of paper that is sent home with your child(ren) and is working together to streamline the newsletter so that you read about the most important information regarding your child's school. The District has created a website where all of the approved flyers will be posted (Community Opportunity).